Thursday, January 10, 2013

January 10, 2013

All Or Nothing!



Where to begin………..I can begin with the day I smoked my first pipe, or I can begin with attending my first pipe show! I think the best way for me to start out this blog is with an observation. A dear friend of ours From Denmark when confronted with the question of what he thought about American culture stated that he thought we were people of extreme. For example everything we eat and drink until recently had huge amounts of sugar and salt. That is until we found out it was bad for us, now everything is bland and tasteless. After he made this comment, I was rather puzzled. Is it true? Are we really all or nothing?
Then it dawned on me not only is my culture all or nothing, but I happen to be living with the prime example of go big or go home! My fiancé has always been a bit obsessive compulsive with his hobbies, so when he began smoking a pipe I thought to myself oh boy here we go! The sad part is it went far beyond my expectations. Smoking a pipe was no longer enough he wanted to start making them.
This did not come without its complications. We had no workshop and no room for shop equipment. A lot of you ladies may be in shock when I say this but……I gave up my closet. That’s right I removed all of my clothes, shoes, and accessories and replaced them with a drill press, scary looking files, and a band saw.  I thought I must have lost my mind! At least if I didn't lose it already the dust it created and the random hideous sounds the equipment made would pretty much finish the job. Let’s just say I was over being a cool girlfriend and he got the okay to build a workshop.
When Steve finally got his stuff out of our closet and began working in the shop it was amazing! No dust, no noise, just me my book and I. Now there comes a time in every woman’s life where she has to get out of the bath. I found that though I had my room back I lost him. I began going into his shop more often sometimes to chat, other times to read a book while he worked. Naturally, I became curious. All of this noise, dust and sacrifice, for what?
I decided to make the leap and smoke a pipe with Steve. I had a lot to learn, and being an ex cigarette smoker made it rather difficult, but I eventually got the hang of it. Now I will go into Steve’s shop around the loud equipment I once despised to have a bowl with him. A lot of you ladies may find this to be blasphemous but here goes. I find smoking a pipe to be more relaxing then soaking in a hot bath, but that’s not where it ends.
 I have found not only a piece but a bonding agent between my fiancé and I. His love has now become mine. Pipe smoking to me is not just a social activity or the accumulation of objects. It has opened so many doors and has been the foundation of many amazing friendships. In fact that is how Tracee and I met, and as a result I now write this blog and join her in supporting the growth of woman pipe smokers. I started this blog out with an observation, so I feel it is necessary to end this blog with one. One I found for myself and my own experience. I was against it at every turn I didn't understand the hype, but as I started to ease up and work my way into it, I found that not only do I like it, I've become obsessed with it. I have the bug! Maybe our friend from Denmark was right. 

I hope you enjoyed my very first blog as much as I enjoyed creating and sharing it! Happy smoking! 
-Jamie 

No comments:

Post a Comment